[WikiEN-l] Punished by Rewards?

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:30:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 4, 2007 9:12 PM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> I didn't really start paying close attention to Wikipedia's culture
> until 2004, at which point I think a lot of these norms were well
> established. Does anybody know the history, and whether there were
> external sources or inspirations for the things I mention? Was there an
> explicit decision to avoid reward systems? Or did it just happen?

I make no pretense of having a great recall of what transpired in those
days, but I never recall any conscious decision to discourage incentives as
counter-productive; we just believed in what we were doing because that is
how it had been done before. You may have to go back a year or two (i.e. to
'03 or '02) to see if there was an explicit decision behind this.

Johnleemk