[WikiEN-l] Editing References and External Links only

Doug Henkle henkle at pobox.com
Fri Nov 2 18:05:29 UTC 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Kraus

      Thank you to all who contacted me on this list and off-list about my
original posting, "Alfredo_Kraus citations".  You have been very helpful.

      Someone just added a "Sources" section to the above page with 13
lines like,

1.^ Please replace this sentence with an identification of which source(s)
made these claims.

      I did not write this or any other Wikipedia biography.  Hopefully
this Section will be read by the original author(s) of this biography.  I
cannot read their minds as to what References they used.

      I will be unsubscribing from this list in the very near future.  I
have found that this list is NOT for newbies like myself who have only been
editing pages for a short time.  After reading two days of "banning Private
Musings" messages, it seems clear that this list is meant only for the
in-fighting of "Wikipedia Administrators", those who have the power to
delete and/or revert everything us newbies add via "Edit".

      There are some things that I am capable of doing to enhance Wikipedia
entries, and things I cannot do, because of lack of expertise or
time.  Writing new biographies and sourcing current entries are things I
cannot do.

      I have been writing Discographies and Bibliographies, i.e. indexing
musician's entries in books, since I first discovered the old UW-Parkside
"Internet Music Archives" in October 1991.
    http://www.folklib.net/index/uwp_gone.shtml

At last count, over 3,700 mostly non-Pop/Rock musicians
    http://www.folklib.net/index/discog/birth2days.shtml
found in over 280 books
    http://www.folklib.net/index/discog/bibliog.shtml

      And, I have been accumulating links for also mostly non-Pop/Rock
musicians since November 1995.

      Examples of what I can do for Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Kraus#References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Kraus#External_links

      To start with, I can do these two things for the 200 Opera Singers
listed at,
    http://www.folklib.net/opera/singers.shtml
including creating new pages for Singers who have no Wikipedia page now,
but which will contain only the above two sections.

      If something is wrong with what I have added to the Alfredo Kraus
page, or if my doing these two things ONLY, per the examples, are
unacceptable to you Administrators, I will stop editing pages.  Thank you.
Doug Henkle - mailto:henkle at pobox.com
P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447

http://www.folklib.net/
    FolkLib Index: A Library of Folk Music Links
    On-line since 11-25-1995

http://www.folklib.net/index/wi/
    FolkLib Index - Wisconsin Music Site Map
    (everything related to Wisconsin Music and Musicians)
    (both current and historical information)