[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:21:11 UTC 2007

> joshua.zelinsky wrote:
>
> For the record, the link that we actually care about is this one:
> http://lockerbiecase.blogspot.com/2007/10/wikipedia-and-lockerbie.html
>. It may be instructive examine what the link itself actually says

The sadly comical irony is, for anyone teetering on the brink of
psychosis, I can't imagine what more we, as an institution, could have
done to push people into believing  allegations.  Seriously...  If we
had all gotten together at a secret location and brainstormed for days
on how to, as a prank, try to convince the world that SV = LM = MI5
agent who is controlling Wikipedia,  we could never have come up with
anything better than what we've actually done--

* Suppressing mere mention of the allegation,  even after it's on slashdot,
* Deleting good faith questions of slashdot readers asking what's up,
* Trying to delete links to ANY site where somebody might accidentally
stumble upon the SV=LM=MI5 story, or even sites that link to sites
that might make the allegation
* Trying to indef block and otherwise attack anyone who resist the purges.

You couldn't WRITE a better conspiracy theory than this.   Our
behavior has been a recipe for how to increase the population of
tin-foil-hat wearers.

And of course, it's actually all fueled by compassion and
defensiveness, not by any conspiracy.  But woe to anyone out there in
internet land who might be off their meds-- they must be having quite
a ride.

Alec