[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 2 10:11:55 UTC 2007

Delirium wrote

> If the already absurd BADSITES policy (and
> friends) is going to drive itself off a cliff and now prohibit links to
> any sites that, through n degrees of link traversal, may *indirectly*
> reach objectionable material, then we might as well just turn off
> external links entirely.

Making "attack" transitive does has this effect. So it's  not a great theoretical position, to state that any link to an attack is an attack. The conclusion, from some time ago in my case, that the "attack" language is not useful for describing how hypertext works. We should, as ever, look at intentions of WP editors in linking, and look also at how any link contributes to the mission. Stick with "don't link to junk" and "don't link in order to harass".

Charles