[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Thu Nov 1 22:58:32 UTC 2007

Quoting Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:

>>> He has published defamatory information when he admits he's not sure
>>> it is valid. Why would we link to defamatory information?
>>
>> Huh? Do you mean Black has done so? Saying "X claims that Y" is now
>> "defamatory
>> information" that we can't link to even if it is a link we'd otherwise
>> have in article space? What if it weren't Black but the New York Times?
>> Or what if it were Black but the information was about an editor of say
>> the German Wikipedia or a non-Wikimedia project?
>>
>> Finally, I do hope you realize what this would look like to the general
>> public;
>> Wikipedia will censor any links that even mention the possibility that
>> another site outed a Wikipedian. Are we trying to look like something
>> out of Catch-22?
>
> What it is, is "fact laundering", see Wikipedia:Fact laundering
>
> Responsible media don't generally engage in it.
>
> Fred

I've your essay and frankly I don't see its relevance at all. First,
responsible
media all the time say "According to X, Y", in fact we do that for
controversial
statements all the time and that's what we're supposed to do. How this became
"fact laundering" is beyond me. And it isn't clear to me who you mean is "fact
laundering". Do you mean Black? Even if he is, and this neologism is somehow a
bad thing how is that relevant to whether or not we should link to his blog?
Are you saying we wouldn't link to his blog if he "fact laundered" these sorts
of statements about a non-Wikipedian? If there's a difference we're
back to the
same problem.

Do you possibly mean someone else is fact laundering here? If so, who?