[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Nov 1 21:31:51 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:
> He has published defamatory information when he admits he's not sure it is
> valid. Why would we link to defamatory information?

We're not; we're linking to *a notable source* that may have also
published defamatory information. The _New York Times_ has also
published defamatory information, some of which may be retrieved through
its online archives, but we still link to nytimes.com. Heck we link to
stormfront.org, which has even more obviously published defamatory
information and exists mainly to publish racial attacks---but is
nonetheless still notable.

IMO, when it comes to notable sources, when or if they should remove
information becomes their problem, not ours. If an article should be
removed from a NY Times archive, or a well-known professor's blog,
that's a matter to take up with them, not with us. This is a quite
different case from a site that *isn't* notable, and whose entire
purpose is to publish defamatory information, and for which there is no
reason to link to in the first place.

-Mark