[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:51:37 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't notice this e-mail before; in response, I'll just note that
> perhaps if posters to this list focused on honest and intelligent
> dialogue, rather than advancing foaming-at-the-mouth "women who dress
> in scanty clothes are just asking to be raped" arguments, (not naming
> names), they'd have a better chance of not looking like rabid fools.

With that and your clear disregard for practical reality beyond to push your
own polarizing agendas and POV, I will bow out, but I would like an apology
from you which I don't expect shall be forthcoming. Fools are the ones who
manipulate others intentionally to advance their own aims, trampling them in
the process. Perhaps your pending RFAR for trying to play the seemingly
usual games will teach you apparently needed humility. Perhaps not.

Equating my point that, "If people leave virtual bread crumbs all over the
internet that show who they are and where they live, people will be expected
to put 2 and 2 together, and the subject should not be surprised or upset
when this happens," to "Obviously, you're saying the same thing as women
deserved to be raped for dressing in sexy apparel," is filthy and
disgusting.

No, I clearly said that if you're so frakking concerned about your privacy,
to protect your "IRL" interests so that you can do harm and play mad power
games on Wikipedia, cover your ass well, and don't play a screaming and
crying game when you screwed up and didn't realize that you left the
equivalent of a digital sandwich board on your chest that says, "I live
here! HERE!! And this is my NAME!" Wikipedia's privacy policy protects you
from Wikipedia/ians disclosing info from you on-Wiki, or from information
(IPs, etc.) that you gave to Wikipedia.

If you posted with the same handle hypothetically as "Jayjg" and said,
"Richmond ROCKS! So does Temple Such and Such, and I like eating Salmon!" on
some message board or blog comment, and someone Googles your name, and
starts seeing Easter Eggs all over, it's not Wikipedia's job to enforce a
cover up of the fact that 'someone' named Jayjg comes possibly from a given
town, goes to a given Temple, and enjoys eating salmon.

If people are that worried about it, use a different username on-Wiki that
has nothing to do with you, don't say squat about who you are, what you do
for a living, where you live, and be mindful if you edit articles related to
you and yours to play fairly and by the rules, to not piss off people and
get them searching for you. That's what I said. Basically, "Don't be an
idiot, and then blame others for your own actions and their consequences."

You don't need to respond to this; your smoke and mirrors games don't
matter.

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com