[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Thu May 31 01:36:23 UTC 2007

Jayjg wrote:

> Wow, what astounding rhetoric. "Censorship".

That's not rhetoric. It's precisely the right term to describe what
you're trying to do. The Encyclopedia Brittanica defines censorship
as the "act of changing or suppressing speech or writing that is
considered subversive of the common good." Wikipedia defines it as
"the removal and withholding of information from the public by a
controlling group or body. Typically censorship is done by
governments, religious groups, online communities or the mass media,
although other forms of censorship exist." Both of those seem to me
to aptly describe what you're trying to do.

Of course, it's not GOVERNMENT censorship. Rather, it's an attempt to
ban a class of speech on Wikipedia via a policy. What makes it
censorship is the supporters of BADSITES are attempting to create a
whole class of forbidden-in-advance speech, arrogating unto
themselves the right to determine what information other people can
include when editing Wikipedia in the future. Does someone want to
link to something on WR so they can comment on its errors? Do they
want to link to it on a talk page because they think it actually has
made a valid point about something? What if WR actually DOES make a
valid point about something? If we have a policy against ever linking
to WR, none of those questions matter. Individual Wikipedians have to
surrender to the policy, regardless of context, circumstances and
their individual judgment as to appropriateness. That's what makes it
censorship, in the same way that it would be censorship to say that
no one can ever post an image of a nude body part or a swastika or
some other thing that someone finds offensive.

Maybe the following example will clarify my point further: I would
fully agree with someone's editorial insistence that we shouldn't
have an image of a swastika in an article about the Catholic Church.
By supporting this position, I'm not engaging in censorship. I'm
simply making an editorial judgment that a swastika is inappropriate
for inclusion in an article about the Catholic Church. However, I
WOULD consider it appropriate to include an image of a swastika in an
article about Nazis. In other words, I think the question of whether
a swastika belongs in an article should be left up to sensible
editors who make their judgments based on context and
appropriateness, NOT on some policy imposed by someone who thinks
they have the right to forbid anyone else from ever doing it under
any circumstances whatsoever. See the difference? What Jayjg wants to
do is forbid anyone else from ever posting a link to WR anywhere on
Wikipedia under any circumstances whatsoever. That's censorship.

I should also note that the supporters of BADSITES are really
attempting to censor a very specific type of information, while
dressing up this specific goal under generalities to make it sound
like something that would be a appropriate as a "policy." What they
really want to do is specifically ban all links to WR, but this is
being dressed up as a policy against "linking to attack sites." If
they simply wanted to ban links to WR, I would actually have less
problem with it. Such a policy would be a mistake, in my view, but it
is less open-ended and therefore less likely to be abused than
generalizing out from WR to some broader, vaguely-defined category
such as "attack sites."

This whole discussion reminds me a bit of a debate that happened at
the University of Wisconsin-Madison a decade or so ago, when some
well-meaning opponents of pornography tried to get the concession
stand at the UW student center to stop selling Penthouse and Playboy
magazines. Some university bureaucrat briefly attempted to impose a
Solomonic solution by forbidding the student center from selling
monthly magazines. The idea was that weekly magazines like Time or
Newsweek could still be sold. It would eliminate Penthouse and
Playboy but wouldn't really be censorship, because the CONTENT of the
magazines wasn't the reason given to ban them. This of course was
nonsense. The late, great Erwin Knoll (then-editor of The
Progressive, a monthly magazine published in Madison), wrote a
humorous column suggesting that the university should just adopt a
policy forbidding the sale of all magazines whose names begin with
the letter "P." To do so, he argued, would be no more arbitrary and
would still have the desired effect of eliminating Playboy and
Penthouse (and also the Progressive) but would at least leave other
monthly magazines unaffected.

In a similar vein, I would like to suggest that if Jayjg and Slim
Virgin wish to find a policy-based way of banning links to Wikipedia
Review, they should at least try to do so under the narrowest
possible policy defining the thing they are trying to ban. A lot of
rhetoric has been thrown around saying that Wikipedia Review is
guilty of libel, harassment, stalking, even terrorism. Each of those
acts, if indeed they have been committed, are real crimes. Someone
who commits libel or stalking can be taken to court and convicted,
fined, even jailed. If Wikipedia Review is committing those sorts of
crimes, the victims can pursue legal remedies and get a court
judgment so that we have a basis for common agreement that WR's
actions do indeed reach the level of criminality that those terms
imply. Once someone has won a court judgment showing that WR has
engaged in illegal harassment, I would accept a policy saying that
Wikipedia should ban all links to websites whose owners have been
convicted of criminal harassment against Wikipedians.

If, on the other hand, you can't prove in a court of law that
Wikipedia Review has actually done something illegal, you should just
grow a thicker skin. As a very wise cop once told me, part of the
price of living in a free society is that you sometimes have to
tolerate unpleasant behavior by obnoxious individuals.

|  Subscribe to our free weekly list serve by visiting:
|  http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html
|
|  Donate now to support independent, public interest reporting:

https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/cmd/shop/
custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1107