[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed May 30 23:14:38 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:

> I'm not interested in generalities and slippery slope arguments,
> though,  I'm looking for specifics. When would it be beneficial to
> Wikipedia to link to WR?

This statement is an interesting example of the rhetorical technique
known as "framing." Jayjg is defending a policy that enables BADSITES
supporters to impose a censorship rule on every other Wikipedian. The
proper question to ask here is, "why would it be beneficial to adopt
this sort of censorship?" Instead, however, jayjg has framed it as,
"when would it be beneficial to engage in the type of speech that I
wish to censor?"

This is exactly equivalent to having someone like Jerry Falwell argue
that Hustler Magazine should be banned because, "When would it be
beneficial for someone to read Hustler Magazine?" Framing the
argument this way turns the discussion into a debate about the merits
of Hustler Magazine instead of a debate about censorship. Any
discussion about the hated speech then draws howls from the censors
about how the speech that they want censored is horrible, horrible,
horrible. No decent, right-minded person could ever think otherwise.
Anyone who disagrees with the censor is therefore by definitiion
indecent and wrong-minded. And the censorship expands from there.
We've already seen Slim Virgin put forward the following argument:

> The problem with that, Joe, is that some members of the "community"
> who've been particularly vocal on the linking issue are regular
> posters to Wikipedia Review.

Note the assumptions here:

(1) Someone who merely posts comments on the censored website is
automatically presumed to be behaving inappropriately. Following my
analogy, that's the equivalent of "You shouldn't vote for Jimmy
Carter because he gave an interview to Playboy magazine."

(2) Such individuals are not true members of the Wikipedia community.
They're members of the "community" in quote marks, meaning they're
only PRETENDING to be part of the community, as opposed to genuine
members like Slim Virgin. Again following my analogy, this is like a
fundamentalist minister saying, "Jimmy Carter isn't a true Christian
because he gave an interview to Playboy."

By trapping people in this loop of hate speech, you divide the world
up into decent versus indecent people, and subsequent debate focuses
on how to purge the indecents so that they no longer pollute the
"true community." The real debate, however, should begin by
discussing the problems with censorship itself.

I'm sure that Daniel Brandt and Wikipedia Review have done some
unpleasant things, but the reality is that they're not quite the
absolute demons that certain thin-skinned individuals pretend they
are. Brandt was also the person who identified the guy who
anonymously libeled John Siegenthaler on Wikipedia (for which he was
praised by Siegenthaler, a respected journalist). Some people here
have claimed that Brandt was also the person who called Essjay's
faked credentials to the attention of The New Yorker. I haven't done
any checking to confirm whether Brandt actually did that, but even if
he did, the truth turned out to be on his side in that instance as
well. The polarizing hysteria with which people here have responded
to Brandt (calling him a "sociopath" or a "terrorist") is absurd and
merely makes it more difficult to deal with him effectively and
rationally. The BADSITES policy is an example of that hysteria. It
harms Wikipedia by making it harder to discuss Brandt and WR with any
precision. Instead of pointing to a specific thread or comment on WR
and discussing it specifically, everyone who adheres to BADSITES is
forced instead to resort to generalities and loose characterizations
of what has been said on the Site Whose URL Must Never Be Mentioned.

In another post, jayjg wrote:

> WR is a site that contains "criticism of Wikipedia" in the same way
> that Jew Watch is a site that contains "Scholarly Collection of
> Articles on Jewish History" and "Focuses on Professionalism". In the
> real world these things aren't so gray, though I understand your
> interest in obfuscating them.

In the interest of clarifying rather than obfuscating, let's note
that Wikipedia has a detailed article about Jew Watch, with a link to
its home page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew_Watch

Personally I find Jew Watch much more offensive than Wikipedia
Review, but I would never suggest that all mention of it should be
censored from Wikipedia.

|  Subscribe to our free weekly list serve by visiting:
|  http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html
|
|  Donate now to support independent, public interest reporting:

https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/cmd/shop/
custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1107