[WikiEN-l] And now for a word on trivial BLPs

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Wed May 30 22:56:16 UTC 2007

> Now you can get round both by redefining the relevant field (in this
> case to canals of South West England rather than UK canals) but by
> doing that you can make anything notable.

Geni has a good point, in that its a tricky situation there, as well. Let's
say I find an article on a notable Canadian politician. Or an Indian. Or a
Sudanese minister. Or a well known, notable local Brussels plumber. I may
have never, ever heard of this person, let alone the sources in another
language that tout their fame. By the same token, I'm very (I hope!)
knowledgeable about many IT and IT security matters, but if you named me a
famous person that talked at Defcon, I probably never heard of them. I
couldn't even name you the people that maintain and oversee the kernel
development, aside from Linus, and they're all notable.

Notability is highly localized by either geography or field of study at
times, but no less notable.

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com