[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed May 30 20:41:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, jayjg wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're saying. Under what circumstances would
> linking to WR or a similar site be beneficial to Wikipedia? Please
> give some specific examples, keeping in mind that Wikipedia is an
> encyclopedia, and the purpose of Talk: pages is to discuss article
> content, and that article content must comply with [[WP:V]] and
> [[WP:RS]].

Talk pages must discuss article content, and article content must comply with
[[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]], but it does not follow that talk pages must comply with
[[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]].  That's not a syllogism.  The article content produced
by talk page discussion must comply with those policies; but the talk page
itself doesn't.

By your reasoning, if we decide that something is a reliable source and say
so on the talk page, we need a reliable source for the claim that it's a
reliable source.