[WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

Michael Noda michael.noda at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:59:53 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/30/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You seem to be implying that you actually find this so implausible
> > that you can't believe Gracenotes wasn't lying. Is that what you're
> > saying?
> >
> Not at all. My point in all this is the one I've made elsewhere in
> this thread, or maybe there are two threads going about this, namely
> that I feel uneasy about seeing people promoted who've racked up high
> edit counts by using automated or semi-automated scripts, but who have
> very little article-talk interaction.

As someone who has done large numbers of minor edits in the past,
completely unaided by scripting*, I'm disappointed that you feel this
way.  These edits are often the formatting and style edits that make
Wikipedia look and feel like an encyclopedia.  And yet you implied
that anyone who does mass-editing is either using a script or is
"mindlessly hitting a button".  Was that necessary?

*I'm on the AWB-approved list, or was last I checked, but this is in
the mostly vain hope that AWB gets ported to any platform whatsoever
that isn't Windows.  ;_;