[WikiEN-l] BADSITES vs RFA

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed May 30 02:00:09 UTC 2007

SlimVirgin wrote:
> ...we're a top--ten website with no idea how many admins we have.
> We know how many accounts, but not how many people, and we don't
> know whether they include banned users.

I'm not an admin so I hope I'm not sounding glib or naive about
it, but: I'm at peace with this dilemma.  It's true we can't
know, it's true that's a concern, but it's not one we can afford
to worry about unduly, because there's nothing we can possibly do
about it and still remain as open as we have to be.  As long as
it's significantly easier to deadmin someone who's clearly "gone
rogue" than it is for them to construct the facade that allows
them to become an admin in the first place, I think the situation
is tenable.