[WikiEN-l] BADSITES vs RFA

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 30 01:15:12 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> On 5/29/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am far more worried that one of Merkey's anon detractors claims that
>> they just got past RFA with another as-yet-unnamed account ...
>>

> Quite a few groups are claiming to have succeeded in getting RfAs
> through, and in some cases more than one admin account per person,
> because the process has become almost completely formulaic. It's one
> of the reasons I don't like to see high article edit counts (with
> minor edits) and low talk-page interaction, because that's one of the
> ways they claim to get them through. (And that's not a comment on
> Gracenotes, before anyone interprets it that way.)
>
> I don't know what the solution is, because a large chunk of the
> community still argues that adminship's no big deal, which means
> there's no will to check who's being given it.

Well, remember, Jimbo Said So(TM), as far as "not a big deal" goes. But
hey, I'll say it. It's a pretty big deal. Otherwise, we'd just let
anyone at all do it.

It's often argued that "admins can't do anything that's not reversible".
Technically speaking, that's true. Blocks can be lifted, deletions can
be restored, rollbacks can be reverted, and so on. Realistically
speaking, it's not. A poorly-executed admin can cause a ton of drama and
bad will, even if it is later reversed. Administrative consensus is also
a very powerful thing, and admins must be very careful to make reasoned
decisions and be willing to carefully consider objections to them.

If these things are not done, it can eventually result in good editors
giving up in frustration and leaving the project. And there is no
"undelete editor" button.