[WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Tue May 29 12:38:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:49:48 -0700, William Pietri
<william at scissor.com> wrote:

>SV, I understand you to be saying that you don't support an absolute ban
>on particular sites, but rather the use of good judgment, keeping in
>mind that any link to a site that is sufficiently filled with personal
>attacks is probably a net negative.
>
>I understand Gracenotes to be saying that he also doesn't support an
>absolute ban on particular sites, but rather the use of good judgment,
>based on the context of the post and the content of the link.

Indeed.  A difference that makes no difference - but allows us to
apply Clue, as we always should.  The benefit of the doubt, as always
with eternal links, should go to removal, but we should not absolutely
rule out the possibility that a site which contains attacks may
contain good content.  Not that I've seen it happen yet, you
understand.

However, we should resist absolutely any link to sites which "out"
Wikipedians.  Privacy violation is different from trolling and has a
far more insidious effect.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk