[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue May 29 05:49:54 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The inclusion of non-notable schools is not, by itself, the problem.

There you go using the N-word again.

> The real problem we have on Wikipedia with school articles, in my
> opinion, is the amount of vandalism they receive relative to the number
> of editors repairing them. Since school-aged kids are a main source of
> vandalism this isn't a surprise. However since this vandalism often
> takes the form of derogatory remarks about living people it's a serious
> matter. Reducing the number of school articles which aren't being
> watched would help.

If a school article continues to be vandalized even after you have
blocked that school's IP range, then the school is probably more
widely known than you thought. Try semi-protecting it for a while.

> I tried "prodding" a vandalized article about a junior high school and
> found that there are editors who watch the PROD category just to remove
> school articles. While I appreciate that the matter of school notability
> is hotly debated, I don't think anyone likes having hundreds or
> thousands of school articles that are unattended targets of libelous
> vandalism. Other than reducing the number of school articles I don't see
> a good solution. Perhaps a compromise would be to favor merging school
> articles into school district articles.

"Libelous vandalism" can appear anywhere. Nominating an article for
deletion because it "has become a target for 'libelous vandalism'" is
opportunism at best. However, it could also be considered a violation
of WP:POINT.

Deleting the article, or merging it to another article, will only
funnel vandalism to other locations, won't do anything to actually
reduce it.

Block these spreaders of "libelous vandalism" for trying to fuck up
the project. Any action more drastic than that will only mean that
they have, to some extent, succeeded.

Revert, block, ignore.

—C.W.