[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:04:20 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> The policy should describe what admins actually do. Most admins that
> I'm aware of remove these links when they see them, not in a
> systematic way, but if they happen to find one. There are very few
> situations where they're added legitimately.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an admin removing those links
"when they see them" a "systematic way"? There may be few situations
where they are added legitimately, but when they are added legitimately,
they should be left alone.

> The way to defeat the troll is probably to stop talking about the
> issue, because that's what he wanted. We have an ArbCom ruling, and we
> have admins who can implement it sensibly. If anyone sees a silly
> implementation of it, please e-mail that admin and put them straight.
> End of story.

Oh, how convenient. So we ignore the problem, pretend it doesn't exist,
and it will magically go away. And if it doesn't magically go away,
editors should quietly contact someone through the back door to say,
"um, what the hell" and hope that that person will both acknowledge
their concern and correct it.

Yeah, that'll work.