[WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:00:11 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> On 5/28/07, Blu Aardvark <jeffrey.latham at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Admins have no obligation to protect other editors.
>>

> That is where we fundamentally disagree. Admins are there to protect
> the encyclopedia and the people who create it. We can't offer much
> protection, it's true, but we *can* remove links to websites set up
> for the sole purpose of making those people feel miserable.

Well, not exactly. Admins are there to protect the encyclopedia.
Protecting the people who create it doesn't come out of any admin
responsibility, but rather out of basic human dignity. Yes, admins
should, whenever possible, remove links to such websites. (Except that
"such websites" don't really exist. They may have /pages/ that serve to
harass Wikipedia editors, but there are no sites explicitly dedicated to
doing so.) However, if they fail to do so, what's the problem? There
are, as I said, over 700 other admins who can do the job for them. I
mean, heck, you've got your own personal army dedicated to that cause.