[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:53:29 UTC 2007

A few posts up, Slim Virgin said:

"Please don't keep raising the issue of BADSITES. It was started by a
strawman sock for the purpose of stirring it. Please don't do his job
for him."

I completely agree with Slim that this was started by someone who had some
pretty murky ulterior motives; I'll take her word that it was a sock.  The
question is how to stanch the bad practices that are flowing from it.

The most straightforward way would be to mark BADSITES as either rejected or
historic, and to remove the disputed section in the current policy.  (That
takes care of the messy attempt made by DennyColt.)  As far as I can tell,
there was absolutely no objection to the idea of including a statement in
the current NPA policy supporting the removal of any links where the content
of the link met the definition of a personal attack, regardless of the
origin of the content.

Recent history - and from what I read, past history as well - indicates that
wiping out all links to sites where there is negative content about one or
more editors has had a negative impact on the encyclopedia.  But even people
who have argued that links should be removed on a case-by-case basis have
demonstrated that they are willing and ready to remove links to threads that
can even remotely be considered personal attacks.

I agree that the current impasse has gone on long enough.

Risker