[WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

Brian Haws brian at bhaws.com
Mon May 28 21:02:46 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: wikien-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Daniel R. Tobias
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 11:25 AM
To: wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

On 28 May 2007 at 14:05:34 +0000, "Fred Bauder"
<fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:

>> Thanks for the heads-up. Bottom line, this guy doesn't get it. How
>> hurtful external attacks can be to Wikipedia users. He has minimal
>> commitment to taking effective action, maximum commitment to
>> dissimulation.

>Daniel R. Tobias
>I'm disappointed that you've joined the enraged mob with torches that's
abusing Gracenotes' RfA because he insists on a
>houghtful,nuanced approach to "bad site" linking instead of
war-on-drugs-style zero tolerance.  It's especially disappointing
>ven that some of your own past writings on the topic have seemed to
advocate the same sort of carefully considerate,
>on-knee-jerk approach that you're saying he "doesn't get it" for having
himself.

You know, I've about had it with people dragging out the "mob with torches"
line every time a substantial number of people disagree with them. The
opposers are anything but an enraged mob. In fact as anyone reading that RFA
can see, the only people that are enraged are Grace Notes supporters who
can't seem to keep themselves from snarking every comment and generally
raising the temperature to an unhealthy degree. Make a comment that they
don't agree with and Gurch etc will be all over you like white on
rice...they are doing a real disservice to that RFA and to consensual
discussion as a whole.