[WikiEN-l] A BADSITES RfA piling-on

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon May 28 17:02:01 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 28/05/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
>

>> But, then, I've also developed some doubts about your own judgment
>> given your activity on this list last week, when you developed out of
>> whole cloth an entirely bizarre interpretation of [[WP:BLP]] that
>> held that this policy could be used as a Harry-Potter-esque magical
>> incantation by any admin in order to take unilateral action that
>> would not be permitted to be questioned, debated, reversed, or
>> subjected to any sort of process or consensus save the unlikely
>> possibility of a full-blown ArbCom case.  The fact that nothing in
>> the actual wording of the policy itself even hinted at this
>> interpretation didn't faze you one bit, though you later backed down
>> after a storm of controversy here.
>>

> What on earth? It's been practice since WP:BLP was instituted.

Of course it hasn't been.  WP:BLP allows admins to ignore certain usual
rules, but it doesn't prohibit any sort of questioning or reversal of
those actions if other editors feel they were incorrect.  If I go and
delete large sections of [[George W. Bush]] citing WP:BLP, then it does
not require a full-blown ArbCom case to reverse me.

-Mark