[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Mon May 28 16:54:57 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly. Context is key - and furthermore, banning things on a site-by-site
> basis is ridiculous. If the entire site is devoted to, say, outing an
> anonymous individual's identity, then hell yes, kill links to it with fire
> (unless, say, it becomes notable, in which case, link to it where absolutely
> necessary). But if there's a site run by a famous chef who also has a
> vendetta against, say, me, should we ban links to his site because one page
> of it is devoted to libel against me ...

John, I don't think anyone is arguing that extreme position. It's a
strawman. The whole BADSITES policy proposal was a strawman started by
a sockpocket. All that's being argued is that sites *devoted* to
outing and defamation  -- the purpose-built attackers, where it's all
or most of what they do -- shouldn't be linked to.