[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:21:12 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> The latest skirmish in the never-ending civil war over linking to so-
> called "attack sites" is the one where [[User:Will Beback]] has taken
> onto himself to purge Wikipedia of all links to the site of notable
> science fiction editor [[Teresa Nielsen Hayden]], even though they
> are used as reliable sources for quite a number of diverse things,
> because in her blog she attacked Beback (she seems to have some
> issues with Wikipedia in general).
>
> This has in turn spurred a renewed edit-war over whether the anti-
> attack-site section should even be in the WP:NPA page, and the page
> is now under protection again as a result.
>
> See my essay for more on the issue:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dtobias/Why_BADSITES_is_bad_policy

Why the hell is BADSITES being enforced so mindlessly and so religiously and
so utterly retardedly? It's completely beyond me. Anyone with a shred of
common sense can see that the status quo, enforced by a group of
well-meaning zealots who I am tempted to label idiots as well (but will not,
for the sake of civility), is not serving the encyclopaedia.

Johnleemk