[WikiEN-l] On living bios and the rest of the world

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sun May 27 23:18:04 UTC 2007

> Anecdotally: I was down the pub tonight talking to regular humans who
> aren't Wikipedians about the vexed minor living bio issue ...
>
> And I think our hardline policy on BLPs is absolutely what the world
> would want. The incidents themselves have to be *notable*, not just
> verifiable. A carefully researched piece of footnoted crusading
> journalism may be noble, but it's NOT Wikipedia. Having an article in
> someone's name is a curse, because our page rank puts it straight at
> the top of Google. Etc.
>
> They all got this, immediately. In just the way the people on wiki
> being querulous about BLPs don't.
>
> I mean, I don't know if we can give Doc glasgow a medal for dealing
> with this rubbish so well on a continuing basis, but we should see if
> there's a way to.

I suspect even the querulous ones would get it if they became the
subject of a negative WP bio because of one stupid incident.

I second the medal for Doc; some kind of statue would not go amiss, in
fact. A giant Doc Glasgow cradling a sobbing BLP victim, waving a
sword with the image of ... a badly drawn person on it. :-)