[WikiEN-l] Original research: our secret pleasure?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 26 21:01:44 UTC 2007

Ken Arromdee wrote:

>Well, a common, similar, case is popular culture articles in general, but
>most of them have a loophole: a movie, book, etc. is itself a source for its
>own content.  Using a pinball machine in a similar way is, of course, original
>research, but it's also an excellent example of how Ignore All Rules applies
>to anything, even original research.

As much as I strongly support IAR, I also recognize that there are
places where its use is inappropriate.  It's really a safety valve to be
used when the sane application of rules produces nonsensical solutions.

>The main problem you'll face is rules-lawyer vandals, who pop into random
>articles to delete all original research, then leave.

This kind of vandal is not that different from other common vandals.  In
the interest of NPOV ( ;-) ) they need to be given credit for one thing:
leaving.

Ec