[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 26 18:19:17 UTC 2007

Michael Snow wrote:

>Jeff Raymond wrote:
>

>>The problem is BLP
>>being used as a bludgeon to get rid of well-sourced, verifiable, NPOV
>>information because the neutral point of view is negative.
>>

>How can the neutral point of view be negative? That's a contradiction in
>terms. An article may contain negative information, but the presentation
>must still be neutral. The notion that if only negative information is
>available, this excuses making the "neutral" point of view negative, is
>at the root of many of these problems. It seems that very few of our
>contributors have the skill and judgment needed to translate highly
>unfavorable source material into neutral prose.

It's not a contradiction at all, no more so than a neutral point of view
that is positive.  An article that contains ALL negative information can
still be presented neutrally.  If we are writing about an infamous
serial killer where no favorable information is available at all
neutrality is achieved by not saying things that are unverifiable.  The
result will likely be that he will appear less evil than the public may
want, but the overall result will remain that he is a bad person..
There is no question of "making excuses".  If we only have negative
information we are not "making" the neutral point of view negative.

Let's not confuse absolute and relative information.  Absolute
information is what is out there; it may or may not be negative.
Relative information strives to find the centre of gravity of that
information, and thus arrives at a neutral point of view.  The neutral
point of view is also the result of a collective effort that balances
the various interests.  Any article that has only one contributor is
technically always neutral, because it is the synthesis of all opinions
already expressed.  When we see it as something that is not neutral we
are really comparing it with facts that are not in evidence.  The
neutrality is rebuttable, but has not yet been rebutted.  In the context
of a trial it is at the point where the prosecution has presented its
evidence, and the defence remains to be heard.  When a second
substantive opinion is presented in an article by an other editor there
will most often be a significant shift in the placement of that ever
theoritical neutral point of view.  This does not mean that NPOV has
been achieved; most likely it hasn't.  Ideally that second opinion has
set in motion the beginnings of a collaborative effort to synthesize NPOV.

To be sure, your lest sentence is correct, but that is a characteristic
of the editors involved, and not of the material that we have been
provided to work with.  Prejudging whether the editors involved will
have the requisite skill and judgement is itself a failure of skill and
judgement.  There is certasinly material which should not remain for
long, but there are better criteria available for working through these
problems than the impatience of some administrators.

Ec