[WikiEN-l] Original research: our secret pleasure?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat May 26 16:07:05 UTC 2007

Consider, for a moment, this edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Addams_Family_%28pinball%29&diff=133649872&oldid=130354055

It is a minor modification to our description of "The Addams Family"
pinball machine. Because I happen to own one of those machines, I know
that this edit is partly right but almost certainly partly wrong.
However, I haven't played it much lately, so my first instinct was to
commit the grievous sin of original research by playing a few games.

In thinking about this further, there are whole classes of article just
like this one, full of uncited information that is probably original
research. The unifying characteristics seem to be:

   1. If the article is somewhat inaccurate, there is little risk of
      real-world harm,
   2. The topic is of relatively low importance,
   3. Having something on the topic is a net benefit to our readers, and
   4. There is a wide enough base of people with knowledge of the topic
      that the article can generally be verified from collective
      personal experience.

Personally, I think these articles are worth keeping. Our readers get
information they want. It also seems like a good place for newbies to
contribute: it's a topic they are interested in, there is plenty for
them to fix, and if they don't get it exactly right they won't
immediately be reverted and slapped with a talk page notice containing
eight links to policy shortcuts as they would on, say, [[Evolution]].

As far as I can tell, though, there is no written policy or guideline
for this kind of thing. Is that the case? It's probably for the best,
honestly, as they are doing fine without it, and I imagine creating a
special exception for this kind of thing would lead to all sorts of
disruptive wikilawyering.

Regardless, I thought it was interesting how much has been built in the
outskirts of our metropolis. Not up to our building codes, but not a big
problem, and better than nothing.

William