[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 25 19:01:17 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:

> [...]
This is historically inaccurate.  NPOV has indeed been a part of
Wikipedia from the very beginning.  Wikipedia was already a year old
when I became involved, and it was during that year that no original
research became important.  This was primarily in response to a number
of crackpot physics theories that were being added to the encyclopedia.
Verifiability followed quickly on the heels of this as a means of
establishing that something was not original research.

>Likewise we will not permit potentially libelous material to remain in an article. We term it poorly sourced controversial information, but bottom line, not only is there potential legal liability, but it is wrong. With respect to articles such as about the complaining witness in the Duke La Cross case, Neutral point of view conflicts with Verifiability as we have no way to round out such an article as the only published material is negative. Resolution of the conflict is difficult and results will vary with the situation.

So who is arguing that we should include libellous material?  Whether
something is libellous is a question of fact that is highly debatable.
When you extend that to the "potentially" libellous so too is the
debatability.  These debates on fact driven situations need a chance to
run their course.

I know nothing of Duke La Cross or what he might have done wrong, and I
don't care to know.  Furthermore one should be cautious about
generalizing on the basis of one individual.  If all that anybody
verifiably know about him is bad, and we include it all in our article,
then our article has satisfied NPOV.  We are not a community of Anne
Franks who must document the little bit of remote good that must exist
in everyone.  There is no obligation for a single editor to cover all
the bases in an article.  A second editor can still add the positive
features to an otherwise negative biography.  The real problem arises
when each tries to suppress properly verifiable information which the
other has supplied.

Ec