[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 25 06:58:35 UTC 2007

Angela Anuszewski wrote:

>>That's a good point.  Print encyclopedias might not contain spoiler
>>warnings, but how many of them contain plot details or even plot summaries?
>>Would it even be legal for Brittanica to include as many details as
>>Wikipedia when it comes to plots of copyrighted works?  I doubt it.
>>

>That's an interesting pint, has anyone ever tried to bring a legal
>challenge over that? How detailed a summary can still be considered
>fair use?

I love going to the local pub to discuss an interesting pint. :-)

There's no single solution to the question.  Remember that it's the form
of expression, and not the ideas that are copyright.  An adequate
telling of the plot should whet the reader's appetite for more.  It does
not diminish the author's market, and thus passes the fourth test.

Ec