[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri May 25 04:57:33 UTC 2007

G'day Dan,

> On 23 May 2007 at 21:36:12 +0000, "Fred Bauder"
> <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
>
> > Consensus never trumps policy.
>
> I thought policy was made by consensus?

It's a pickle, eh?  That's why Buzzwords are Bad, kids.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that consensus never trumps core principles (e.g. NPOV, being an encyclopaedia, being free content).  Consensus can certainly trump policy; consensus can rewrite policy.  Heck, who needs consensus?  You and I can trump policy just by going out and saying "No, fuck that."  (I do this a lot).  So long as you're doing the Right Thing ...

The important things to remember are:  Consensus Stamp of Approval does not make it appropriate to do the Wrong Thing.  Nor can people stop Wikipedia being an encyclopaedia by voting on it.  Not even if it's a really, really big vote, with all the people from CVU and Esperanza and Concordia and so on voting to destroy the project.  It just can't happen.

I think that's what Fred was trying to say.  And if it wasn't, it damn well ought to have been.

Cheers,

--
[[User:MarkGallagher]]