[WikiEN-l] Microsoft phrase re Google: "The Wikipedia problem"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 25 00:06:45 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

>On 24/05/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 5/23/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>http://liveserials.blogspot.com/2007/05/uksg-write-up-wikipedia-problem.html
>>>

>>I don't really get a great idea of what they MEAN by that phtase, though ...
>>

>It's entirely unclear ... that public participation ruins their
>business model? In which case look out for them as a threat in the
>future?

Yeh, I too poked about and couldn't find a satisfactory definition of
the term.  Your guess is as good as any.  I didn't find anything on the
site critical of copyright law, and they didn't seem too pleased with
any kind of open access.  It's easy to cast stones at Wikipedia because
being a top-ten site makes it so visible.

It's much easier for them to defend themselves if they are being
attacked directly.  It's considerably more uncomfortable when the
underpinnings of their business model are being pulled apart.

Ec