[WikiEN-l] [Otrs-en-l] Bio and BLP opt-out thoughts; "BLP People"

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Thu May 24 21:02:58 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, FloNight <sydney.poore at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to help the community as a whole adapt to the underlying ideas
> behind the BLP policy.  This will take time but is really the only model
> that will work long term I think.

I concur with this, and with Andrew's concerns.

It needs to be a community responsibility, not "someone else's
problem" to deal with -- making it seen to be someone else's problem
tends to encourage people not to take responsbility for making those
judgments themselves. (It would be a really sad day when someone
removing unsourced crap from an article got reverted because s/he
wasn't a "BLP person", but I could easily see it happening.)

It needs to be all of our responsibility to be watching for things,
proactively, that we should not within the bounds of ethics be
including (not "what is legal to include", which may be a different
line), and it needs to be part of the community culture to enforce
those decisions when others who are not as steeped in that mindset
challenge them.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising