[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

C.J. Croy cjcroy at gmail.com
Thu May 24 18:54:28 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
>We need to focus on the issue BLP was intended to address, poorly
sourced controversial >information. We can't write a balanced article
about a life marred by tragic error.

We can - and should - have articles about people defined by one
massive error.  Would we really be better off without articles on
[[John Hinckley, Jr.]]?  Or [[Arthur Bremer]]?

Patch Idea #1: Encourage people to contribute non-controversial
information about themselves.  If someone's only known as "That guy
who lost 6.5 billion dollars on natural gas futures", he might balance
that coverage with some generic biographical information, e.g. the
kind of household he grew up in, where he went to school, etc.

Patch Idea #2: Change the MoS.  If someone's only known as 'The guy
who lost 6.5 billion dollars', the article should be about 'The
incident in which 6.5 billion dollars were lost' and should make no
pretensions of being a biography.  This has the side effect of either
forcing people to expand the definition of what BLP covers or it gives
POV warriors a way to take their targets out from under the protection
of BLP.