[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 24 17:24:34 UTC 2007

Matthew Brown wrote:

>On 5/23/07, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 5/23/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The point is that isn't particularly fame. The incident is famous, the
>>>person's pretty much only famous in association with the incident.
>>>

>>Could some argue that based on this [[Monica Lewinsky]] should be deleted?
>>

>Monica Lewinsky embraced her notoriety to the point of writing an
>autobiography, as I recall.  That does make a difference.

That would certainly reinforce the point in the specific case of
Lewinsky.  Writing an autobiograohy would clearly enhance a person's
notability.  Ultimately it's about individuals and individual
circumstances. The decision needs to be made on a one-by-one basis.

This does not solve the problem for the general class of people that
Lewinsky symbolizes.  But for one act she might have remained as
faceless as any other Washington intern.  The act that brought her fame
does not appear to be illegal, though it may be in other jurisdictions.
Far from seeing it as a black mark on her biography, it is also
imaginable that some would look upon her in awe, wishing that they had
had a similar opportunity to project themselves into history.

In one community a person who is convicted of drunk driving baely rates
one column inch in the local newspaper.  In a similaly sized neighboring
community a driver in similar circumtances becomes a 'cause célèbre'.
Because of this single incident town B develops a national reputation
for being unsafe.  It all comes down to a good judgement, and no rules
are efective in bringing that about.

Ec