[WikiEN-l] IRC logging, disclosure

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 23 23:26:45 UTC 2007

G'day Risker,

> I am concerned about this practice of importing external rules into
> Wikipedia postings - if this is the correct interpretation of the
> reason we
> don't post IRC logs. The same logic could be used to consider
> external links
> to other sites, some of which even have legal restrictions on
> access let
> alone minor rules like "no posting what you read here," to be
> unacceptable.Anyone have any idea how many links we have to porn
> sites, all of which
> restrict access to those over 18 (or in some places even 21)?

All porn sites restrict access to those over 18?  Well, you may be more experienced in that area than I am (he says, innocently), but I doubt the accuracy of that statement.

In any case, linking to a porn site that restricts access to those under 18 is not violating that porn site's policies.  Republishing the site's content, on the other hand, in an article entitled "A place where underaged people can see free porn", would be a much more appropriate analogy.

(And notice the nice little tie-in with copyright problems?  I thought you might.)

--
[[User:MarkGallagher]]