[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed May 23 19:37:30 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On 5/23/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 5/20/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Surely one would expect ==Plot summary== to contain plot elements in
>>>an encyclopedic manner.
>>>

>>Plot elements != spoiler. This discussion is meaningless if those two
>>concepts are considered equivalent.
>>

>As long as {{spoiler}} continues to read "Spoiler warning: Plot or ending
>details follow.", people are going to continue to use the tag any time plot
>or ending details follow.  In fact, my anecdotal evidence is that most of
>the {{spoiler}} tags I come across are applied wholesale to an entire plot
>section.

That's what happens with templastes.  It's like putting AK-47s in the
hands of kids who don't know how to use them.

>Maybe an interim solution is to have different spoiler templates for
>different situations.  We could first take the time to disambig the use of
>template:spoiler into the different types of situations, and *then* have a
>policy discussion over each one.  I'd be willing to help disambiguate the
>tags.

I think that that suggestion would only make matters worse.  At least
now if you want to monitor this kind of activity there is only a small
number of templates to trace.  The net effect of your suggestion is a
bit like building separate madhouses to segregate the different kinds of
madness.

Ec