[WikiEN-l] How many articles must a man write?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:54:52 UTC 2007

How many articles _should_ Wikipedia have?

Step back, think a minute about that question.

If there was some magic way to immediately have each and every
deserving article that was and could be written from what
*you*personally* consider reliable sources (currently, as of this
instant, extant ones), that was verifiable...

...all that, and furthermore could  _in_theory_  be maintained NPOV by
the tender loving care of an infinite, nay transfinite, number of
shallowing eyes, and could (again, in theory) be written
encyclopaedically, even if the only one with the necessary expertise
happens to be an illiterate but dedicated self-pigeonholed expert...

...in short if all the natural restraints of raw manpower and human
limitations of ability were for one instant magically extinguished,
but what only remained was the standards you think wikipedia should
set itself, now, at this time, with the sources we have and the
knowledge already contained in them...

...then; I ask you what is the number of articles you think wikipedia
should have? A billion? 4 million (over twice we have now)? 20
million? What?