[WikiEN-l] IRC logging, disclosure

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:15:29 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:As far as I know, all
channels starting with #wikipedia- and

> #wikimedia- are official as agreed with freenode, and if it were
> needed, http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_Group_Contacts could take
> control over them
>
> Also http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_channels specifies which
> channels forbid logging, which ones may be logged and which are open

OK. But... I'm still confused as to how 3rd party 'rules' are enforceable
on-wiki. Geni's copyright claim doesn't hold water. Even if the login to the
given channel says that you hold copyright on all your words, we still
routinely link to copyrighted material for discussion and analysis, and
easily falls under fair use.

So we're back, unfortunately, to no official en- sancitioned policy saying
that you can't post IRC content... just people not wanting things posted. Is
that correct?

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com