[WikiEN-l] Compromise proposal: an interim {{spoiler}} solution.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:31:00 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> I think I've come up with an interim solution to the whole mess regarding
> [[template:spoiler]].  My theory is that discussion of the tag is never
> going to reach a consensus as long as the uses of the tag are as diverse as
> they are.  So here's my proposal:

I don't know what the "whole mess" is precisely, but if there is
violent disagreement about the worst excesses of the tag's use, why
not start with an extremely restricted spoiler tag that everyone can
agree on. Like, a {{really-bad-spoiler}} whose documentation says
"This is only for use for spoilers so bad that a stranger would gnaw
off your arm if you said it in public. Ruining the surprise end of an
unpublished novel, or the details of unaired TV episodes, for
example."

If there is consensus there, then perhaps more spoiler tags could be
created for less drastic scenarios. Then at least you would never
theoretically end up with {{really-bad-spoiler}} being used in WWII or
whatever.

Steve