[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:29:18 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

> G'day Matt,
>
> > As Skyring also mentions, is there any logical reason why fiction
> > articles should have spoiler warnings but e.g. sports articles should
> > not? If I haven't seen the game yet, it's my responsibility not to go
> > reading things that might tell me the score; if I haven't read the
> > book, likewise.
>
> I quite like this question, too (oh, and welcome back, Pete).

Not that I ever left...

Wikipedia is a strange place indeed if the issue of spoiler warnings
generates such great volumes of heat.

It's a bit like the abortion debate, really. You get people at both ends and
few in the middle.

Lest I be labelled a fundamentalist, may I suggest that spoiler warnings are
appropriate for novels, or movies, or similar works that are less than a
year old? Anything older than that is on the shelves of the second-hand
bookshops, or in the dollar a week rack at the video rental.

--
Peter in Canberra