[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue May 22 16:13:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Matthew Brown wrote:
> In such forums, the readers don't expect every thread to be in the
> business of spoilers, so a post that breaks the default assumption
> should carry warnings.
> This situation DOES NOT EXIST on Wikipedia.  One doesn't go to our
> article on a fictional topic expecting light banter about the
> characters or a discussion of their relative hotness.  One expects the
> whole deal, all important information.

This situation DOES exist on Wikipedia.  The readers don't expect every part
of the article to be in the business of spoilers; they don't discuss how
hot the characters are, but they do discuss other things which are not
spoilers.

One "expects the whole deal" only on a per-article basis, not on a per-section
but spoilers can be put on individual sections, or even within a section if
the spoiler doesn't appear at its top.