[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue May 22 04:29:38 UTC 2007

G'day Gabe,

> OK, here's when they will be useful. I want to know the background of
> the Movie X before I go out to see it. You know, the actors, filming
> locations, etc. But not the plot. Do I not deserve to know what will
> spoil my fun, even when there is a perfectly functioning and
> unobtrusive system established for that purpose? ~~~~

You can get all that from IMDb, without the risk of your eye
accidentally picking up information you don't want.

I wouldn't look at Wikipedia if I wanted to avoid a spoiler, whether
there was a spoiler warning or not.  The warning is not effective.  It
doesn't assist those who you think will want it, and it serves only to
annoy those who don't want it.

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten