[WikiEN-l] hit counts on articles/pages

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:38:49 UTC 2007

> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/wikicharts/index.php?lang=en&wiki=enwiki&ns=articles&limit=100&month=05%2F2007&mode=view
>
> This works by taking a sample of the article hits (1 in 1000, I think)
> and providing a raw chart.

Looking at [[MediaWiki:Common.js]], it is 1 in 6000. We don't want to
overload the tools-server :)

> How closely it reflects popularity is questionable. That is, "of
> articles people went looking for in Wikipedia, the top 100 are ..." We
> don't know that this chart reflects that. So it may be of interest
> with quite a grain of salt.

I'm sure that the script uses good statistical methods to calculate
error. The accuracy is displayed right there in the list, with the
margin of error. It rises fairly quickly, but the top ten articles all
stay under 10%, and I think we can be fairly certain that those do, in
fact, represent the most viewed pages of wikipedia.

--Oskar