[WikiEN-l] Rewriting the MOS in English

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:18:38 UTC 2007

Our Manual of Style is lengthy, comprehensive and really sucks to
read. Compare to something really readable, like Fowler's or Strunk &
White. Or even Chicago. Have you ever picked up these books and
thought "this is really good, I can use this stuff"? I'd hope you had.

But, rather than being a guideline for thoughtful application by
editors seeking guidance in writing effective encyclopedia entries,
it's become a sequence of programming instructions for bots.

So here's an attempt to make the intro readable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style&diff=132452254&oldid=132369265

Our MOS should be something that editors should *want* to read.

Anyone want to help recast the rest of the megabytes of MOS as
thoughtful guidance in English, rather than programming instructions
for bots?

- d.