[WikiEN-l] An infobox achievement

Christopher G. Parham cparham at fas.harvard.edu
Sun May 20 20:03:55 UTC 2007

On 5/20/2007 10:08 AM, Stephen Bain wrote:

> It seems to me that a significant proportion of the times when
> infoboxes don't work well is when they are on articles about people.
> Probably because it's a little impersonal to reduce a human being down
> to a few entries in an infobox.

I liked the people infoboxes a lot more when they just contained the
dates and places of birth and death (though I think it be left up to
editors of the article to decide if they are aesthetically pleasing on a
particular page or not). The people infoboxes that contain more
information, like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_Philosopher

don't seem to accomplish much aside from making sweeping generalizations
and provoking edit wars over those generalizations.

--Chris