[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sun May 20 16:31:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007, David Gerard wrote:
> The current stage of the Great Spoiler Shift is a rough guideline on
> [[Wikipedia:Spoiler]] and discussion on the talk page. Phil Sandifer
> has asked one very apposite question: Where is the evidence our
> readers even care? None has been presented
>
> (As one of those whose phone number seems to have become Wikipedia's
> phone number, I get people calling and complaining about their *login
> not working* (wtf) as well as every *other* content issue under the
> sun. I have *never* had a complaint that we spoilt a work of fiction
> for someone. I await a single piece of evidence, not conjecture.)

Well, one person already complained about it on that discussion page.  But
of course, this sort of complaint isn't one for which people would contact
Wikipedia.  Honestly, if you read a spoiler and didn't like it, do you
seriously think as a new user your first order of business would be to
contact Wikipedia and complain?