[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sun May 20 16:27:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> >The point is that just like whether something is notable, whether something
> >is a spoiler is a conclusion made about article content.
> Ahhh!  Now I understand.  It's original research.

So do you believe that figuring out whether something is notable is
original research, unless you find a source saying "this is notable"?

Come on.  Original research has nothing to do with meta decisions about
article content.  We don't require sources that say "this is notable" (though
we do require sources from which a Wikipedia editor may deduce that something
is notable).  We don't require sources that say "This has enough information
to be split out into a separate article".  We don't require sources which say
"this name is the most common name so it's the one we use to name the article",
though again, we do require information (such as a Google search) that lets
the editor deduce that.  We don't require sources which say "this must
be part of Wikiproject:Films".  We don't require sources which say "this
meets the criteria for being a Featured Article", or sources to say that an
article goes on the main page.

Why in the *world* would you think we need sources to decide if something is a
spoiler?