[WikiEN-l] From the Dawn of Spoilers

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 20 03:35:43 UTC 2007

Philip Sandifer wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Crying_Game&oldid=288389
>
>Created by The Cunctator during the first debate on spoilers, back in
>2001, when people kept citing [[The Crying Game]] as an article that
>should have a spoiler warning despite the article not existing at the
>time.
>
>(He did similar entries for The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, and Psycho,
>all equally funny. Fight Club is actually probably my favorite of
>them, though it takes some digging to find, as it's in the history of
>an abandoned redirect at present.)
>
>Don't you miss the good old days when our articles got straight to
>the point?
>
>In similar retro fashion, we have the long-departed [[User:CGS]]
>realizing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
>title=Wikipedia_talk:Warn_readers_about_spoilers&diff=1075454&oldid=1075
>451
>
>Isn't it great when people are prescient?
>
>And for those who are particularly interested in wiki-history, the
>major justification for spoiler warnings in the first place was that
>people wouldn't know that Wikipedia was an encyclopedia and so would
>be surprised by the spoilers. Which is probably a moot issue by now.
>
>You can also find out such great information as that the spoiler
>warning's first supporter, [[User:Koyaanis Qatsi]], felt that they
>were overused back in 2003. That Larry Sanger liked spoiler warnings
>back in the day.

The mindset of some people is such that telling them that Sanger
supported them could result in more opposition to the warnings. ;-)

>And that [[User:Eclecticology]]'s position on
>spoilers has not changed in five years: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Warn_readers_about_spoilers&diff=66407&oldid=66398
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Policies/Wikipedia:Spoiler_warning&diff=prev&oldid=131147552

I guess I do need to apologize for my inconsistency in the spelling of
"market(t)ing" :-[

Wow!! I hadn't imagined that this subject would inspire such a wave of
nostalgia.

Ec