[WikiEN-l] From the Dawn of Spoilers

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 20 02:06:24 UTC 2007

On 5/19/07, Philip Sandifer <sandifer at english.ufl.edu> wrote:
> That Larry Sanger liked spoiler warnings
> back in the day.

Oh yeah, something else, which I actually think is still a useful
point today.  Sanger suggests the following text for the spoiler
template: "The following, like all Wikipedia plot summaries, may give
away plot surprises."

I actually think that's a lot better tag than the current one of
"Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow."

If the tag is going to be kept, and is going to be applied very
broadly, that's a much more sane text.  If there's one thing I hate
more than anything else about the tag, it's that it usually says
something so incredibly obvious - that a ==Plot== section is going to
contain plot details.

Anthony