[WikiEN-l] When did we start pimping for Microsoft?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat May 19 22:45:21 UTC 2007

On 19/05/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 19, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
> a) that they were being used for the reasonably sensible use of
> identifying what the box you were about to type a query into was; and
>
> It is, though I just have a visceral reaction against seeing a Windows logo
> on Wikipedia. Microsoft's goals and policies are the opposite of ours, and
> it's just jarring to see their logo.

To be honest, I do wonder why we have the external search buttons
there *at all*, with or without links...

> b) that no-one was giving a reason to avoid them beyond a mechanical
> "remove fair use images"
> That's a pretty good reason, since it's our policy and all...

I think it's worth distinguishing here between "in the site content"
and "in the site infrastructure", and ask ourselves to what degree
policies applicable to the *content* apply to the site hosting that
content. "It isn't in the article namespace" - the standard complaint
- is a bit of a silly test to use on something that is, to all intents
and purposes, not in *any* namespace...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk